Tuesday, March 9, 2010

trying something new

You guys, I really suck at this. You will notice my last post was over a month ago. Which, actually, is pretty good for me! I've gone much, much longer between posts. Anyway, this time was a little different. I posted on a couple different blogs, one I have occasionally updated over the past two years, one I started to replace this blog and deserted. 

making the squares

In an effort to accomplish who knows what, I'm going to show you something. I've never been able to keep both blogs up at the same time, so in an attempt to unify and therefore simplify my blogging life, I'm letting you in on that particular secret. It's a pretty touchy part of my life, and my crafts and photography aren't, so I don't foresee a lot of adoption talk here, but, I'd like the ability to post something related to that blog here if I want to, without going through the internal turmoil that is basically me worrying that someone who doesn't know will wonder what I'm talking about and then cause all kinds of grief for me in some way I can't imagine they would, but anyway. (Hi! I like run-on sentences!)

quilting the quilt

So, anyway, that is my life, and this is my life. I have tried for a very long time to keep that part of my life in it's own little box, but that's not fair to me, and it's not fair to my little boy. I am not ashamed of him, and I can't be worried about what people will think to the point where I hide that part of my life from the people I come in contact with on an every day basis. The reason I am so open with him and his family is because I don't want him to ever have to be ashamed of that part of his life either, so it doesn't make sense to keep it my dark little secret anymore. 

quilt back, partially quilted

Next time I will try harder to keep it lighthearted and crafty, since I have plenty of that going on right now. I just need to finish quilting this quilt, which is a loooong process since I used two layers of batting and maneuvering it around in my tiny machine is a huge job. And kind of a workout, too, for that matter! I can't wait till it's done, since I made it out of my favorite fabrics ever (Neptune, from Tula Pink - who is a genius, anytime I see her fabrics in a store I spend way too much on them - plus a piece from Full Moon Forest on the back because I -gasp- didn't have enough pieces of Neptune!). It's a small quilt, but so nice and thick. I hate the thin-ness of just one layer of Soft'n'Natural, it's like wrapping up in two (granted, well-insulated) layers of fabric. Since my quilts are usually throw-sized, that's not what I want to be wrapping up in while I play my Wii. So, this one, which is a baby-sized quilt, was kind of a two-layer trial run. I think I will be thrilled with the results!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
 
Copyright © angry octopus studios
Blogger Theme by BloggerThemes Design by Diovo.com